Biography: Anne Stine
My artwork expresses the celebration of nature and the renewal of life and hope. It captures beautiful images in nature that are fleeting and can not be postponed.
Encaustic allows me to express the intensity, fluidity, and varied textures found in nature more realistically than any other medium. There is something exciting about working with a medium invented over 2,000 years ago, witnessing how the painting mysteriously takes shape through the creative dance of layering, reheating, and further manipulating the wax with mixed media. By combining oils with encaustic medium (a combination of beeswax and natural resin), I am able to add a luminous and sensual quality to my work. Wielding a blowtorch and letting my creative intuition lead the way; I gouge, scrape, burn, and drip the wax into impressionistic images of landscapes, waterways, and other natural scenes.
It is the unpredictable qualities of the encaustic process and of nature itself that really inspires me to push the limits of my mediium and bring my subjects to life.
Step into the studio and experience my painting process from start to finish in this VIDEO.
Anne’s paintings have been featured recently in multiple publications including the art magazine Elan, Middleburg Life, and Leesburg Lifestyle. Anne is represented by District Arts Gallery in Frederick, MD; Manhattan Arts International Artist Showcase Gallery, NYC, and Gallery 75, Alexandria, VA. Her award-winning art is exhibited regularly in national and regional shows, featured in a variety of art galleries, and found in a multitude of prestigious commercial and private collections.
Anne graduated from Virginia Tech, where she studied Communications and Art, and continued her art education at the Corcoran School of Art, Washington D.C. After college, she led a successful career in marketing for an international technology corporation and a national arts fundraising company where she created campaigns for prestigious arts organizations such as the High Museum of Art in Atlanta and the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.
After years of supporting national art venues, Anne decided to pursue a new role within the art world as a mixed media artist, devoting herself to her passion for painting. Her love of encaustic painting began in 2016, when she discovered the medium’s ability to add a lush luminescent quality and unique texture to her nature-themed paintings that other media could not achieve. She creates her own paints allowing her to customize color intensity, ranging from bold to transparent hues.
Anne paints exclusively in encaustic and hopes to build a greater appreciation for this ancient medium through her exhibitions and teaching. An avid supporter of her local art and business community, Anne volunteered in 2019 as a founding member of the non-profit Purcellville Art Gallery. She writes a blog centered around art and inspiring others to pursue their dreams. Anne lives in Purcellville, Virginia, with her husband and three children.
SELECTED GROUP JURIED EXHIBITIONS
- Manhattan Arts International, “HerStory” Exhibition 2020-2021, NYC, NY, Jan. 2021
- The Healing Power of ART & ARTISTS, Manhattan Arts International, “Spirit of Resilience” Exhibition, NYC, NY. Sept. 2020
- Sichuan Fine Arts Institute Exhibition, Chongqing, China, 2016
- Maryland Federation of Art, August 2020
- The Art League, Alexandria, VA, December 2019, June 2020, July 2020, August 2020, December 2020
- Gross-Downing Cultural Arts Center, Newport News, VA: Ella Fitzgerald 100th Birthday Celebration Exhibition 2016
- Franklin Park Arts Center, Purcellville, VA, July 2020 (awarded prize)
- 868 Estate Vineyards, Hillsboro, VA, December 2019
- Loudoun Sketch Club, VA, Barns of Rose Hill 2019, Gallery One 2019
- Artists in Middleburg Gallery, Middleburg, VA:,2017-2020
- Tryst Gallery, Leesburg, VA: 2017-2019
- Bluemont Fair Artist Exhibition, Bluemont, VA, 2016 – 2019
- Artists in Middleburg Gallery, Artist in Residence, Middleburg, VA, November 2020
- Tryst Gallery, Leesburg, VA (December, 2018)
- North Gate Vineyard, Artist in Residence, Purcellville, VA (July – October, 2018)
- Purcellville Town Hall, Purcellville, VA (January, 2018)
- Art Sweet Art Gallery, Leesburg, VA; (Sept – Oct., 2019)
September 2020, Award of Excellence, “Spirit of Resilience” Exhibit, Manhatttan Arts International
July 2020, Most Thought-Provoking, “Journeys” Exhibit, Franklin Park Arts Center
- International Encaustic Artists
- Encaustic Art Institute
- The Art League, Alexandria, VA
- Loudoun Sketch Club
- Loudoun Arts Council
- Artists of Middleburg
- Falls Church Arts
- Gateway Gallery Artist Co-op, Round Hill, VA – member 2015 – 2016
- “Paying it Forward. How Anne Stine’s Dreams of Becoming an Artist Came True”, by Shayda Windle, Middleburg Life, April 2020
- “Four Women Headline Near and Far Art Show”, by Melinda Gipson, Leesburg Lifestyle Magazine, January 2020
- “Translucence – Beeswax, Natural Resin, Pigment and a Blow Torch”, by Joe Motheral, Elan Magazine, June 2019
- “Working in Wax: the Art of Anne Stine”, Loudoun Now, Get Out Loudoun, feature article, 3/8/19
- “How Artist Anne Stine Responds Positively to Changes in the Art World”, by Renee Phillips, The Artrepreneuer, Manhattan Arts International, November 2020
- How to Use Social Media as a Creative“, by Shayda Windle, City Lifestyle Washington, November 2020
District Arts Gallery, 15 N. Market Street, Frederick, MD, USA, https://districtarts.com, 301-695-4050, Jan. 2019 to present
Manhattan Arts International Artist Showcase Gallery, NYC. https://manhattanarts.com/anne-stine/ May 2020 to present
The Art League Gallery 75, @ the Torpedo Factory Art Center, Alexandria, VA, USA https://www.theartleague.org/gallery/gallery75/ 703-683-1780, July 2020 to present